Photos and historical info.
Attention! All info provided by special event station operator and published AS IS.
There is probably not a single city in our country that would not have been affected by the Great Patriotic War. Some cities directly participated in the war, others helped by producing everything necessary for the front. Sochi not only did not stand aside, but also wrote its name in the history of the Second World War as a hospital city, where the victory was brought closer by returning wounded soldiers to the front.|
By 1940, there were no military enterprises or important industrial plants and factories in the city, except for the workshops of the seaport, a meat processing plant and a railway depot. The main city institutions were sanatoriums.
Shortly before the war, there were 61 health resorts in Sochi, which played a key role in the life of the city during the war.
In early July, Sochi received a telegraph order from the Soviet People's Commissar of the USSR on the need to create a hospital base for 20,360 beds on the basis of sanatorium-resort facilities as soon as possible. The resort city was planned to be a base for rear evacuation hospitals. The local residents concentrated entirely on the organization of hospitals: men moved beds and furniture, cutters painted fabrics, women sewed linen, schoolchildren collected moss in the yew-box grove, which served for stuffing mattresses.
One of the first reports on the readiness to receive the wounded was submitted by hospital No. 2135 (sanatorium named after M. Torez), which during the war became a single sorting facility for the entire hospital base. The surgical service in the hospital was headed by Doctors of Medical Sciences I. A. Ageenko and V. K. Krasovitov. Together with them, 16 doctors and 70 nurses served.
On August 1, 24 hospitals with 11,980 beds were opened.
On August 5, 1941, the first wounded arrived in the city. On this day, the entire population went to the station square and Gorky Street to meet the military ambulance train.
In November 1941, 51 hospitals and 19,620 beds were already in service.
The city mainly received seriously injured people, who needed highly qualified care. But since all the hospitals were already full in the fall of 1941, the wounded, who were getting better, began to be sent to other cities.
The city has introduced a card-based food system. Per day, one Sochi resident was provided with 200 grams of bread, 200 grams of cereals or cake, 50 grams of crushed sugar. Once a week — a pack of tea from dried tea branches.
In total, during the first year of the war, about 50,000 wounded were received in Sochi.
The first division of the people's militia was formed in Sochi.
In Krasnaya Polyana, they learned about the beginning of the war by phone. Other orders and reports were received in the same way. They were copied on paper and hung on the balcony of the village council, which served as an information board. With the beginning of hostilities, the first wounded began to arrive in the village, which was bombed. Due to the impracticability of sending seriously ill people to Sochi, a hospital was equipped on the slope of the Achishkho ridge in the former royal hunting house. When there were not enough places, the wounded began to be placed in residential buildings.
800 residents of Krasnaya Polyana went to the front.