Photos and historical info.
Attention! All info provided by special event station operator and published AS IS.
History of conferring an honorary title|
"City of Military Glory"
Stary Oskol is a city in Russia, the administrative center of the Starooskolsky district since 1954, a city of military glory.
Heavy trials fell to the lot of the region during the Great Patriotic War. On June 23, the Kursk region was declared martial law. Starooskolsky district became part of the Oryol military mobilization district. In October 1941, the evacuation of the population, the most valuable state and public property, began. Stary Oskol turned out to be a staging post on the evacuation route.
On August 2, 1942, the 2nd Hungarian Army occupied the city. During the liberation of the city, approximately 700 Hungarians were killed. The irretrievable losses of the commanders amounted to 15,000 people, and a large number of people were also taken to work in Germany.
During the bombing of the city in 1941-1942, the Oskol fortress was destroyed, which was no longer restored. In 1942, 17 defenders of the Nabokino crossing repulsed the attack of 500 German soldiers, thereby repeating the feat of the Panfilov soldiers; Of the defenders, three survived, two of them still live, they are honorary citizens of the city.
In July 1942, the entire territory of the modern Belgorod region was in the occupation zone. Stary Oskol has been in the occupation zone since July 2, 1942. During the Great Patriotic War, over 6,000 soldiers died on the territory of the region, whose ashes are kept in 30 mass graves. 23 natives of Stary Oskol and the region were awarded the highest award - the title of Hero of the Soviet Union.
Stary Oskol entered the war the day after the Nazi attack on the Soviet Union. Already on June 23, 1941, the 118th division was formed, and more than 1000 people left to defend their homeland. Of the 40 thousand people who went to the front from Stary Oskol, 22 thousand did not return.
And the situation at the fronts was becoming more and more alarming. Stary Oskol turned out to be a staging post on the way of evacuating people and state property. Thousands of refugees passed through the city and the region, receiving rest, accommodation, food here, and echelons with troops, equipment and ammunition went to the West.
With the support of the 28th and 29th mortar brigades and the 203rd night near-bomber division, on the morning of February 5, 1943, the soldiers of the 340th and 107th rifle divisions took a decisive assault on the city.
After the liberation of the region from the Nazi invaders, the working people of the city and the region began to restore the economy destroyed by the war, the Red Army was preparing for the decisive battle on the Kursk Bulge.
Industry and agriculture have reached, in some cases even surpassed the level of the pre-war years. After the victorious end of the Great Patriotic War, the workers of Stary Oskol, together with the entire Soviet people, began peaceful creative work.
City during the Second World War
The population of Starooskolye learned about the war with Nazi Germany at noon on June 22, 1941, and hundreds of young men and women were already at the formation points by 15.00. By 17.00 V.S. Abeldyaev began recruiting the staff of the hospital №1926. The decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR "On military mobilization" was transmitted by telegraph and the region became part of the Oryol military mobilization district. In the city garden, over 3 thousand Stary Oskol residents gathered for a rally, where the speakers condemned the Nazi attack and called for the defense of the Motherland.
The commandant of the Starooskolsk garrison, Captain Vasechkin, issued order No. 1, according to which, in connection with the introduction of martial law, it was established: the involvement of citizens in the construction of defensive facilities and their protection, the creation, training of defense detachments, the preparation of bomb shelters and places for the deployment of military units, from 22 o'clock a curfew was introduced, as well as the working hours of trade and cultural institutions, the protection of water supply facilities, daily water analysis, and a number of other measures were ensured. For concealment of goods, speculation and insubordination to the authorities, the guilty were brought to justice under the laws of wartime.
The mobilization regularly reduced the number of working men and were replaced by wives and sisters. At the Pushkarskaya MTS, a 2-week course for tractor drivers and combine operators was opened especially for women. For example, P.O. Boev sent his wife Antonina Ivanovna, instead of her husband, V.I. Bazarov, P.I. Grankin himself prepared his wife Anastasia Antonovna. According to the information for March 1942 in the Starooskolsk region, out of 47 trained combine operators, 26 were women, 56 women mastered driving a tractor. Such timely replacements made it possible to harvest the 1941 harvest and prepare for the spring sowing of 1942. The equipment was also mobilized, and then the horse was remembered. As of October 1, 1941, there were 3675 horses in the region, and most of them were owned by individual collective farmers. A strong-willed decision was made - to withdraw and put in the stables.
Stary Oskol turned out to be a transit point on the way of evacuating people and state property. Thousands of refugees passed through the city and the region, receiving rest here.