Photos and historical info.
Attention! All info provided by special event station operator and published AS IS.
The construction of the coastal artillery battery, which was assigned No. 394, began on July 15, 1941 and was completed in 24 days.
Four naval 100 millimeter guns and a range finder were installed. The command and chemical posts, artillery cellars, utility and living quarters for personnel were built on a mountain slope in front of the Tsemess Bay of the Black Sea in the city of Novorossiysk. Senior Lieutenant and then Captain Andrei Emmanuilovich Zubkov was appointed the commander of the unit.
The main combat mission of the battery was to protect the bay from entering by the Nazi ships. It also performed other tasks: conducted live firing at ground and coastal targets, destroying enemy military equipment and manpower; provided fire support during the landing of amphibious assault forces on Malaya Zemlya and in the port of Novorossiysk.
The battery was the closest one to the front line –just six kilometers away, and was the most effective one.
It was the main target for enemy artillery and numerous air strikes. In just a year of fighting in Novorossiysk from September 1942 to September 1943, over 5,000 artillery shells of various calibers were fired at this battery and about 7,000 bombs were dropped. But not a single enemy ship was ever allowed to enter the bay.