Memorial Victory 77 // List of stations // RP77PL


RP77PL
Gorod voinskoy slavy Polyarnyy

Murmanskaya oblast

QSL via R1YY


Photos and historical info.
Attention! All info provided by special event station operator and published AS IS.


Since 1935, Polyarny has been the main base of the Northern Fleet. During the Great Patriotic War, the first bombs were dropped on the city on June 22, 1941. In the middle of the day, the mobilization of the fleet began, the submarines went to sea. The civilian population began to prepare for evacuation.

Throughout the years of the war, the flagship command post of the Northern Fleet, headed by Admiral Arseniy Grigoryevich Golovko, was located in Polyarny. The Northern Fleet played an important role in repelling the enemy's offensive on Murmansk, carried out amphibious landings in the Petsamo-Kirkenes operation, assisted the 14th Army in defeating the enemy in the Arctic, liberating Pechenga and Northern Norway, conducted active actions to disrupt enemy shipping and protect its sea communications.

The forces of the fleet, of which the city of Polyarny was a part, destroyed 628 and damaged 237 warships and transports during the Great Patriotic War, shot down 1308 enemy aircraft. On May 5, 2008, by decree of the President of the Russian Federation, Polyarny was awarded the honorary title "City of Military Glory".