Photos and historical info.
Attention! All info provided by special event station operator and published AS IS.
The 79th Guards Rifle the Order of Lenin the Order of Red Banner Orders of Suvorov and Bohdan Khmelnitsky Division of Zaporozhye traces its history back to the 284th Rifle Division.
The division began its formation on December 15, 1941 in the city of Tomsk from conscripts from Tomsk, the Tomsk region, the Novosibirsk and Kemerovo regions.
The division also enrolled young officers: graduates of the Belotserkovsky military infantry and Tomsk artillery schools located in Tomsk.
The 284th Rifle Division took the first battle with frontline German units at the end of June 1942, when the Germans had already broken through the front of the Red Army troops began an offensive blow to the east towards the city of Voronezh.
In these battles the German invaders lost more than 8 thousand soldiers and officers, more than 160 tanks and 16 aircraft.
In September 1942, the division arrived at the Stalingrad Front and was included in the 62nd Army. In January 1943, units of the 284th Rifle Division fought heavy long battles for Mamaev Kurgan.
On February 8, 1943, by a decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR for the exemplary performance of combat missions of command on the front against the German invaders during the defense of Stalingrad and the valor and courage shown at the same time, the 284th Rifle Division was awarded the Order of the Red Banner and reorganized into the 79th Guards the Order of Red Banner Rifle Division.
Warriors known to the whole country fought in the ranks of the 284th Rifle Division: Hero of the Soviet Union Ilya Shuklin, Hero of the Soviet Union Vasily Zaitsev.
During the war the 79th Guards the Order of Red Banner Rifle Division was awarded the Order of Suvorov II degree, the Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky II degree, the Order of Lenin.
In memory of countrymen-heroes of the Great Patriotic War, one of the streets of the city of Tomsk is named after the 79th Guards Division.