Photos and historical info.
Attention! Information below is provided by special event station operator and published AS IS.
Belgorod is a city of military glory.
During the Great Patriotic War, bloody battles took place in Belgorod and its environs. Located between Kursk and Kharkov, the city was on the way of the opposing sides to the politically, economically and militarily most important Kharkov industrial region. From September 1941 to August 1943, the Kharkov direction was in the center of attention of the top political and military leadership of the USSR and Germany. And every time Belgorod stood in the way of the military aspirations of both sides. The city was twice occupied by the Germans - from October 24, 1941 to February 9, 1943 and from March 18 to August 5, 1943. During this time, the city was almost completely destroyed.
In commemoration of the victories won, in honor of the liberation of Belgorod and Orel, on the evening of August 5, 1943, the first artillery salute in the history of the Great Patriotic War was given in Moscow with twelve volleys of 120 guns. Two divisions that liberated Belgorod - the 89th Guards Rifle and the 305th Rifle - were given the honorary name "Belgorod". The city of Belgorod was awarded the honorary title "City of the First Fireworks", and August 5 is celebrated as the day of the city.
By the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of April 9, 1980, for the courage and steadfastness shown by the city's workers during the Great Patriotic War, and for the successes achieved in economic and cultural construction, the city was awarded the Order of the Patriotic War of the 1st degree.
For courage, resilience and mass heroism shown by the defenders of the city, by decree of the President of the Russian Federation of April 27, 2007 No. 558, Belgorod was the first in Russia to be awarded the honorary title "City of Military Glory".
In honor of this historic event, on July 10, 2013, a stele "The city of Belgorod - the city of military glory" was installed on the Cathedral Square of the city.