Photos and historical info.
Attention! Information below is provided by special event station operator and published AS IS.
"Everything for the front, everything for victory" - this was the slogan of those who forged our Victory during the Great Patriotic War, being far in the rear, thousands of miles from the front line.
The city of Kirov was a rear city. Factories and factories have become the battlefield here. From the first months of the war, the city's industry began to produce military products. Enterprises of the leather and shoe and fur industries gave the army shoes, sheepskin coats, hats, mittens. The woodworking enterprises produced skis, aerial sleds and wagons for the Red Army.
During the war, more than twenty large enterprises were evacuated from the western cities of the country to our region. Factory buildings were erected or re-equipped for them in the shortest possible time, where machines and machines were installed. Together with the equipment of the enterprises, qualified workers, engineers, technicians arrived to us. Already in 1941, the Leningrad plant "Krasny Toolmaker" began to produce products in Kirov, the first enterprise in the USSR to master the production of universal control and measuring instruments.
In February 1942, the Kirov Cord factory was put into operation, created on the basis of several workshops of the Yaroslavl Textile. Its products, cord, are a necessary material for the production of tires. On November 6, 1943, the Kirov Tire Factory entered service, the equipment for which also arrived from Yaroslavl. The appearance of the Kirov Machine-Building Plant named after May 1 has changed unrecognizably. The collective of this enterprise, together with the workers of the Kolomna plant, evacuated from near Moscow, began to produce tanks, self-propelled guns and other military equipment. An armored train "Kirov" was built here at the expense of Kirov residents.
The immortal feat of the home front workers during the Great Patriotic War is immortalized in the monument "Kirov — Front", opened on April 29, 1967. This monument is a high pedestal on which the T—34 tank is frozen - a thunderstorm for the Nazi invaders. On tanks built by Kirov machine builders, Soviet soldiers beat the Fascist invaders.
The feat of the Vyatka working class is majestic. During the war, he gave the army 4176 tanks and self-propelled guns, 2 thousand "Katyusha", 3 million. shells, 5 million mines and bombs, 33 million grenades, 200 ships, 2 thousand aerial sleds, 2 million mortars, 5 million machine guns, aviation and other equipment.
The townspeople helped the front with everything they could. They contributed 18.8 million rubles to the Defense Fund alone, and 50.9 million rubles to the Red Army fund. They collected warm clothes for the front-line soldiers, sent gifts, took care of the wounded and the families of servicemen. Everyone, from young to old, forged this Great Victory, it was given to everyone with very hard work. Heroism, courage, diligence and patience of the home front workers overcame, overcame, surpassed the enemy.
After the end of the war, by Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, over 250 thousand Kirov residents were awarded the medal "For Valiant Labor in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945".
By Decree of the President of the Russian Federation dated May 20, 2021, No. 304, the city of Kirov was awarded the honorary title of the Russian Federation "City of Labor Valor".