Photos and historical info.
Attention! Information below is provided by special event station operator and published AS IS.
Ural Tank Plant No. 183 (UTZ) got its name after the evacuation of equipment, personnel and tank production blanks from plant No. 183 from Kharkov to the Ural Railway Car Building Plant named after F. E. Dzerzhinsky (Uralvagonzavod) in the city of Nizhny Tagil.
During the Great Patriotic War, Uralvagonzavod was converted into the largest tank production plant. At the end of 1941, eleven enterprises were evacuated here from the western part of the USSR, including the Kharkov Locomotive Plant and the Bezhitsky Steel Plant.
The first echelon left Kharkov on September 19 and headed to the Urals, to Nizhny Tagil, to the vast territory of the Ural Car Building Plant (43 echelons were sent in total by the second decade of October). The Ordzhonikidze Moscow Machine-Tool Plant, part of the equipment of the Moscow factories "Red Proletarian", "Stankolit" and some other institutions arrived at the same site. On the basis of these enterprises , the Ural Tank Z was formed